mailing list/mail web-archive software

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 28 16:43:14 UTC 2005

Taavi Burns wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:42:07 -0500, Anton Markov <anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>>Anton Markov wrote:
>>Now there's an idea I haven't considered. The only problem I can see is
>>loosing the From, Date, and other headers. But I suppose that I could
>>forward the message to the group, in which case it would still contain
>>all that information. Or I could fake the From and Date headers somehow.
>

> mutt has a "bounce" feature ('b' for bounce) that simply remails the message
> with a new destination (but leaves all the other headers unchanged).  As far
> as I can tell it's indistinguishable from the message simply hitting another
> mailserver along the way (a very normal thing).  It perserves all of the headers
> including the date, To:, and From:.
>
> I don't know if Thunderbird has the same feature, though.  You might look into
> procmail, and/or may have to convert the Thunderbird mailbox into a standard
> mbox/mailbox/maildir format if it's not already in such a format.

Thanks for the tip. Does anyone know which format Thunderbird uses, and
how I can get it into mutt or some other 'traditional' format? The
messages all appear to be stored in a single large file, seperated only
by their own headers. Is that what is called "mbox"? (sorry, I am new to
this low-level e-mail thing).

Thanks.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***