Apache, Virtual Hosts, Linux hosts file

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 28 07:40:05 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Stephen wrote:

> I have a Linux box (Mandrake 10.1) running Apache 2.0.
>
> I am using it for testing of PHP-MySQL  scripts.
>
> I have it working, but I had to map the virtual urls to the Linux box's ip
> address in the Linux hosts file.

If you are using name based virtual hosts (almost certainly the case) then
this is working correctly.  Apache figures out which virtual host you want
based on the information passed to it in the HTTP header (specifically,
the site that the user wants to see).

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.