Windows at school, a student's perspective

B B kioskfan-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 28 06:32:19 UTC 2005

> > ...can you call yourself an educational
> institution where from
> > the start you have predetermined what the students
> must think, what they must
> > love and what they must do?
> That describes the majority of our educational
> institutions, actually...
> > Final line. What kind of society do we get when we
> tell people what they must
> > think and how they must think?
>
> A society much like our present one.

Hey hey! Don't feel so bad. School has really never
been a place of innovation and it is rarely set up to
be one either, by and large it is a processing plant
not too different from where the Colonel gets his
chickens. Once and a while something miraculous
happens and genius is recognized or an innovation is
accepted but those are few and far between. You, (Us!)
must be persistent and use our best weapon, our brains
and our voices to gain world domination.

Thanks for the update of the other side. When I go to
the install-fests I get the impression free software
is growing on campus and that people love it. When I
meet students at the meetings or read the Linux news
sites I get the same feeling so to hear this from a
student reminds me there is still work to be done and
very little of that work is programming. Remember,  WE
ARE WINNING.

Publicly funded Schools should, of course use open
file formats and not force you to submit work in
proprietary file formats. If M$ wants those programs
in schools it should be forced to GPL the code but
instead it looks like it has chosen to bribe the
schools and deceive the students with pretend
innovation and con man offers.

Just my 2¢,
Cameron