Apache, Virtual Hosts, Linux hosts file

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 28 02:37:18 UTC 2005

I have a Linux box (Mandrake 10.1) running Apache 2.0.

I am using it for testing of PHP-MySQL  scripts.

I have it working, but I had to map the virtual urls to the Linux box's
ip address in the Linux hosts file.

I am using a web browser on another machine on my network. If I do not
have the entries in the Linux box's hosts file, I get the default Apache
welcome page.

I am not using DNS, just entries in the hosts file on the machine I am
running the browser on.

Why do I need the entry in the Linux box's hosts file? I am considering
the possibility that I have a configuration problem. She not the entry
in the VHosts.conf file for the virtual hosts be sufficient?

I am not trying to use a browser on the Linux box!

Thanks in advance!