Windows at school, a student's perspective

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 28 00:58:16 UTC 2005

It would be useful if the person who initiated this topic advised Centennial
(in writing) what specific linux programs could be used in the various
courses. They may not be aware that there are alternatives to Microsoft. For
example, there may be alternatives to the database and networking software
that the college is currently using, and they may not be aware of that.

I do know that Centennial is undergoing a detailed study of that curriculum
and they are receptive to suggestions. Because things change so quickly in
this area, students are likely to be as or even more familiar with the
current 'state of the art' in available programs, as their instructors are.
Moreover, the economic argument carries weight these days. Colleges are
strapped for cash and Microsoft is an expensive habit. The fact that
students can take open software appart and see how it works is another
attraction.

Electrical and Computer Engineering at Ryerson uses Linux and Unix software
to the extent that it is possible. But there are some examples of software
that are simply not available to run directly under Linux. (CAD software
from Xilinx for their FPGA devices, for example. This is a major pain
because Xilinx seem to require the latest and 'greatest' version of
Windows.)

My experience is that it is our students who prefer to use Microsoft in
general, and the educational experience exposes them to the alternatives.
That is why multiplatform software - which will run under Linux or Microsoft
- is attractive in the teaching environment.

Peter H.

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 03:31:48PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> Marc Lijour wrote:
>

> > Final line. What kind of society do we get when we tell people what they
> > must think and how they must think?
>
> WE ARE THE BORG.  YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.  RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.   ;-)

Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,
350 Victoria Street,
Toronto, Ontario, M5B 2K3, Canada