Is Canada Post discriminating against Linux?

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 26 23:01:59 UTC 2005

In their JavaScript (see below), I did in fact see the following JavaScript
code. As you can see below, LinuxElf2.2 is taken into account. It appears that
you just need a Netscape browser.

this.redirectURL = p_sRedirectURL;
	this.compatibilityMatrix = new Array();
	this.HP_UX = "HP-UX"; //HP Unix-based machines.
	this.MacPPC =  "MacPPC" ; //Macintosh PowerPC-based machines.
	this.Mac68K = "Mac68K"; //Macintosh 68K-based machines.
	this.SunOS = "SunOS"; //Solaris-based machines.
	this.Win32 = "Win32"; //Windows 32-bit platform.
	this.Win16 = "Win16"; //Windows 16-bit platform.
	this.WinCE = "WinCE"; //Windows CE platform.
	this.LinuxELF2 = "LinuxELF2.2"; // Linux ELF 2.2 platform
	this.OS = new Array(this.HP_UX,
		this.MacPPC,
		this.Mac68K,
		this.SunOS,
		this.Win32,
		this.Win16,
		this.WinCE,
		this.LinuxELF2);
	this.MSIE = "Microsoft Internet Explorer";
	this.Netscape = "Netscape";
	this.appName = new Array(this.MSIE, this.Netscape);

Paul King

On 26 Mar 2005 at 8:17, John Vetterli wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Robert Brockway wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, B B wrote:
> >> I think Canada Post is blocking Linux browsers to the
> >> business site. (Netcraft says the site is run on ISS)
> > Yes I get the same problem.  Firefox 1.0 on Linux.  They cannot seriously
> > claim this is too old.
>
> Run "wget http://obc.canadapost.ca/" and have a look at their javascript.
>
> It looks like they explicitly specify a list of acceptable
> platform-browser-version combinations.  If you're not on win32, macppc or
> mac68k, or if you're not using IE or Netscape, you're out of luck.
>
> JV

> http://www.nod32.com

Paul King            http://alimentarus.net
"Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are captains
of our fate and masters of our soul" -- Unknown