network connection issue

Matt Cahill m-cahill-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 25 14:21:47 UTC 2005

It seems this is 'networking week' on TLUG, so let me throw this out (as it's
pertinent):

  I've got a cable modem (Motorola SB5100), and I found that - lately - if I
hooked it up via USB, for some flaky reason I simply couldn't get a
connection upon rebooting (which I'm sure has something to do with the USB
ports, as the modem works perfectly and the connection is solid).
  I decided to go back to RJ45 (Cat-6) via an ethernet card which has worked
solidly in the past. However, I've discovered now that every time I boot up
there is no recognition between the cable modem and the PCI ethernet card -
however, once I'm booted up, all I need to do is run '/etc/init.d/networking
restart' and all is well (every time), which leads me to believe that perhaps
one of the following scenarios is happening:

1. My system isn't recognizing my PCI card prior to DHCP trying to do the
magic handshake (it certainly does recognize my PCI cards when I'm logged
in).
2. My system has got USB on the brain and isn't *looking* for a PCI ethernet
connection ?
3. My system is possessed by space-monkeys.

  Any clues what I can try to sort this one out?

  Many thanks in advance,

Matt

--
Matt Cahill