udev and USB devices - FC3

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 25 14:08:46 UTC 2005

Hello,

One my desktop running Fedora 3 when I insert a thumb drive in a USB port
it gets automatically recognized and mounted with an entry in fstab
/dev/sda1 on /media/LEXAR_MEDIA type vfat
     (rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,noatime,iocharset=utf8,user=xxx)

But on my laptop nothing happens when I insert the thumb drive in any of
the USB ports, so I am trying to add entries in a file in
/etc/udev/rules.d but I am not sure what's needed.

Those entries get created when the (laptop) system starts:

/proc/bus/usb/001/001
/proc/bus/usb/001/002
/proc/bus/usb/001/003
/proc/bus/usb/002/001
/proc/bus/usb/002/003

as well as /dev/sda and /dev/sda1

Also fstab contains:
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

so it looks like there is only a little bit missing...

Any help is appreciated (Lennart?). Thanks.

 François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>