testing local virtual hosts before making a DNS change

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 24 22:08:18 UTC 2005

Hi all,

   I am building a new server to replace an aging old one. This server
has numerous domains and actually come from several machines. Because of
this I want to test as much as I can to make sure the migration worked.
The problem I am having at the moment is with how to test domains in an
Apache (2.x) virtual host contained without making DNS changes.

   I though I could just add something like:

www.domain.com	111.222.33.44		# The new IP

   To my '/etc/hosts' file expecting it to have the highest priority in
name resolution. For various reasons this server is already running a
live DNS server that is a slave to the NS with SOA on all the domains so
I can't simply drop in my own DNS server to override the name
resolution. (I know this isn't optimal but it made the most sense, all
things concidered).

   So my question then is; How can I test apache (and later mail) for
domains currently on another IP?

   Thanks!

Madison