OT: cat 5 cable, ethernet, connection jacks

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 24 17:26:50 UTC 2005

Matt Price wrote:
> hey folks,
>
> Hope it's ok if I ask a networking question here... I'm planning to
> lay a bunch of ethernet cable in a room.  I have these fancy Leviton
> RJ45 female jacks and am running the cable through wolding, so having
> many cables come out of a hub is a royal pain.  The computers in the
> room are arrayed along a straight line.  Is it at all possible to use
> the RJ45 jack as a simple junction connecting two pieces of cat 5
> cable?  This would look something like this:
>

> ----		   ___________			__________
> |hub|--------------|rj45 plug|-----------------|rj45 plug|
> -----		  ------------			---------
> 		      |				  |
> 		      |				  |
> 		      |				  |
> 		 Computer		       Computer
>
> I imagine this is impossible, or people would do it all the time
> instead of using hubs...  anyway, if someone can explain to me at
> least why it doesn't work, that'd be a help.
>
> thanks,
>
> matt

   Well, strictly, no you can't. Realistically though, if you are in a
pinch, you can run two runs through one RJ45 cable but you will probably
have trouble with cross talk... Hard to say, I've never done it. If you
want to try though, here's the idea:

   Normally only pins 1, 2, 3 and 6 are used (one pair on 1/2, the other
pair on 3/6). You can try splicing the cable back a few centimeters and
run the four other wires to pins 1, 2, 3 and 6 of a seconds cap. So say
you normally use the green pair on 1/2 and the orange pair on 3/6, run
the blue pair to 1/2 on the second cap and the brown pair to 3/6 on that
second cap.

   Now run the cable to the far computer but give yourself a little
slack where you want to tap into the closer computer. carefully splice
the green and orange pair just enough to reach the teeth of the female
jack. Leave the pairs twisted until just before the teeth... your
connection is going to be degraded enough without helping it :p. Don't
splice the blue and brown wires though, let them pass through to the far
end and punch them in where you normally would have punched in the
green/orange pair.

   Again, use this at your own risk... I know theoretically it will work
but I wouldn't recommend it unless the second run really would cause
that much trouble. If you do try it though, it will look something like
this:

                   [ Computer 1 ]      [ Computer 2 ]
         ^- [ Two caps ]

HTH