I Need Help Initializing MySQL

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 24 17:11:45 UTC 2005

Anton Markov wrote:

> Ya, the documentation is not written with new users in mind. The entire
> MySQL manual is more of a referrence guide than a manual.
>
> I could try to help, but I would rather do it on the mailing list so
> others can learn from the solution.
>
> I am not sure if I completely understood your problem; I got that you
> can't even connect to the MySQL server at all as root. I hope the above
> steps help fix that, and if I misunderstoon the problem or you need
> further assistance, just reply to the list and someone will try to help.

Hi Anton

Thank you for your reply! Perhaps you could write a HOWTO for new users :)

I followed what suggested, and this is what resulted:

========
[root at pw bin]# killall mysqld
[root at pw bin]# 050324 12:03:10  mysqld ended

[root at pw bin]# mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables &
[1] 5873
[root at pw bin]# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql

[root at pw bin]# mysql -u root
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 4.0.20

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO root@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'pw';
ERROR 1047: Unknown command
mysql>
=======

The unknown command error has me very confused.

And suggestions?

Thanks!