I Need Help Initializing MySQL

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 24 15:42:22 UTC 2005

I have recently done a virgin install of Mandrake 10.1 and I am
struggling to get MySQL going.

I think my problem is in the GRANTS.

I get errors saying I can't connect @localhost (or from any machine) and
when I try to add passwords to user mysql, I get an error saying that
there is no record.

I tried stopping the server, and starting without it reading the grants,
but I can't create an account.

I am floundering, and the documentation is very confusing to me.

I expect an expert could fix this in a couple of minutes.

Would anyone be available for a (hopefully short) time this weekend, and
be willing to help? I have SSH working so this can be done remotely.

Many thanks!

Stephen