Connect Linux box to the Internet via Linksys WRT54G router

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 24 03:34:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 09:28:57PM -0500, Michael L Yang wrote
> Hello everyone,
>
> Good day!
>
> I have just purchased a Linksys WRT54G router for my home network
> (one pc and one windows laptop). The pc has both WinXP and Redhat
> 7.3 on it. The wired connection is as below:
>

> PC ------------
>                   \
>                   WRT54G router ---- Rogers Cable Modem ------Internet
>                   (192.168.1.1)
>                   /
> Laptop-------
>
> Under windows XP, both computers can access internet no problem. But
> when I switch to RH on the PC, the networking is not working at
> all. I can not even ping the router (192.168.1.1). I have turned on
> dhcp via 'Network Configuration'. I wonder whether some one could
> point me to the right direction.

  Two starting points...
  1) In linux, as root, execute the command...

route -n

What result do you get?

  2) Reboot the PC to Windows, connect to network, and check what your
network settings show (IP address, gateway, netmask, etc).  Write them
down, and try to duplicate them in linux.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.