Help with fonts in XPDF and X in general

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 23 07:33:57 UTC 2005

  Adobe's Acrobat reader is a glorified neon sign ad for commercial
Adobe products, and a lot of space is used by useless menu bars.  So I
want to use xpdf as my pdf file reader.  xfontsel claims that I have
6496 fonts available.  Yet xpdf doesn't display bold or italicized or
anything other than plain text.  What do I have to do to make the fonts
available?  Treat me as a newbie on this.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.