Toronto Linux User Group Online is invited to the Microsoft Platform Technical Briefing Dinner (fwd)

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 19 18:32:26 UTC 2005

Francois Ouellette wrote:
> I have been involved with a vendor of big iron hardware that was heavily
> committed to Microsoft and I can tell you that M$ is deeply disturbed with
> the emergence of Linux and Open Source in general. But this time, there is
> no easy target to pursue in order to contain the phenomenon: how can you go
> after tens of thousands of voluntary developers and distributors of "free"
> distros? When a company that has been a M$ partner for years announces that
> Linux will now be offered on their equipment I can tell you they receive
> lots of "communications" from high-ranked M$ executives telling them their
> disappointment, and at the same time reminding them of the importance of
> "keeping" or "re-enforcing" their existing commercial relationship.

Perhaps that big iron company would do well to remind MS about their
"exisiting commercial relationship" re: an excellent operating system,
that MS initially helped to develop and for which they promised lots of
support and which Sir Bill proclaimed was the OS of the '90s.

> But those events where they openly invite open source proponents might as
> well work against them, when people like our colleague Clifford brings a
> laptop loaded with open source goodies and show it to the attendees!
>
> Remember, the best things in life are free, and so is Open Source.

Perhaps all of TLUG should show up with Linux on notebooks, to add to
the MS show.  ;-)

Or at least make a reservation, even if you don't plan to go.  :-)