TLUG at the LinuxWorld Canada Show

Matt Cahill m-cahill-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 18 03:16:02 UTC 2005

On March 17, 2005 09:52 pm, Franco Saliola wrote:
> Mike,
>
> The President of The Future wrote:
> > I'm a little bit disappointed that there isn't a discount for
> > students. Perhaps there is and I'm just missing it?
>
> I feel the same way. I scoured the website, but found nothing. The
> registration fees take a big chunk out of a student's stipend. (But I
> find most webpages are useless for distributing information because
> the bit I need is always hidden in some wrong space.) Let me know if
> you figure something out, and I'll do the same.
>
> Franco

  I have to say, I find the whole LinuxWorld 'network' to be a little mickey
mouse:  if you go to linuxworld.com, it's as if the Conferences and Expo's
never existed.  If you go to linuxworldexpo.com, you'd think it was strictly
an American convention...but...if you wince, you'll see the word 'Canada',
under 'Global Events', as if it were an anomaly.  Notice that they only say
'Canada', not 'Toronto, Canada' which is how they notate every single
convention in every country on the list.  Clicking this link takes you to yet
another domain, 'linuxworldcanada.com'.
  For  Toronto being 'the third largest region in North America for IT
activity', they sure don't go out of their way to advertise it.

  I mean, would it kill them to consider integrating everything so that
LinuxWorld actually looked like the international effort it purports to be?

  Sorry for the rant.

Matt

--
Matt Cahill