Open Source Ingres for Linux

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 17 18:20:03 UTC 2005

On March 16, 2005 19:47, Francois Ouellette wrote:
[snip]
> Again, if you spend some minutes reading the licence agreement (also a link
> on the page)
> http://www3.ca.com/Files/Licensing/trusted_open_source_license.pdf
> it says that CA remains the proprietor of the original source code. No fee
> to download or use the product.
> If you want to change the code you can and must indicate in your changes
> which code is yours.  Simple, no?

Simple but not really free, as in libre.

[snip]

> I don't understand the aggressivity of the people who responded to my
> original post!

I would not necessarily characterize it as "aggressivity" but more like
healthy skepticism. This industry is full of hype, perhaps more so than any
other. Companies jump on and off bandwagons quickly. The current bandwagon
seems to be "Open Source" so some companies figure that if they sprinkle that
Open Source pixie dust all over their products, that it will instantly appeal
to a whole new segment. It just does not work that way. If we can take TLUG
as a microcosm of the larger Open Source community, you can see that it is a
tough sell.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay