Open Source Ingres for Linux

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 16 23:39:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 06:23:00PM -0500, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> In the PDF docs that I downloaded from the Ingres site, there are frequent
> references to the 4GL but I have no idea if that is also Open Source, not
> that I care as I have no interest in creating green screen apps. Being able
> to support 700 concurrent users without falling over is not an especially
> impressive feat as there are many databases out there that can do that,
> including MySQL and PostgreSQL. That fact alone does not confer any special
> status to a database especially when there are so many factors that affect
> performance. What are those 700 users doing? Is it highly transactional? Is
> it mostly reporting? How big is the database? How normalized is the data? How
> intensive are the queries? What sort of hardware is it running on? Powerful
> hardware masks a lot of ills. How ACID compliant is it? These are only a few
> of the variables. It is difficult to distill such a complex thing into
> quotable sound bites like "30 year history", "enterprise database, or "700
> users", at least not for a technical audience anyway.

Throwing my thought into the mix... I looked at Ingres API, since that's
the only thing about database I'm interested in.  It really looked like
15 years old.  Going by API alone, PostgreSQL and SQLite were easy to
read, understand, and to code.  MySQL was a bit more complicated than it
should.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
Slackware Linux -- because it works.