What is "dual-channel DDR"?

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 16 21:44:34 UTC 2005

On March 16, 2005 09:25 pm, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 04:06:47PM -0500, William Park wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 12:19:28PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > > For some jobs maybe the ECC ram makes sense.  It also costs more and is
> > > a bit slower.
> > >
> > > What will this server be doing?
> >
> > web, email, wordprocessing, standard office setting.  I personally
> > wouldn't mind waiting a while for an application.  But, I want to avoid
> > complaint from users who are used to Windows XP Pro on P4.
>
> How does that qualify as a server?  Sounds like a desktop to me.

I think William forgot to mention he is looking at building a Thin Client
server.

From the documentation at the K12LTSP project:

-snip-

Server 5 clients:
    *  CPU: One PIII 1 gig or faster
    * RAM: 512mb + (50mb for each client)
    * HD: ATA/100 10+gig IDE
    * Network: (2) 100/base cards and a 100base hub (8 or 16 port)

 Lab or Building Server 10+ clients:
    *  CPU: Two or more PIII or Xeon processors. AMD now has dual Athlon
solutions but we have not tested any. (Offers?) ;-^)
    * RAM: 2gig or more (512mb + 50mb for each client) More ram = more speed
    * HD: UW SCSI drives, one for applications and one for /home
    * Network: (2 or more) 100/base cards and 100base hubs/switch (16 or 24
port, switches are much faster with more clients)

-snip-

The info is a little out of date ( using pIII and dual athlons "now
available" ) but the general ideas behind it are still relevant. New and
faster CPU speeds will improve these numbers, but available memory is the
most important factor.

more details here
http://k12ltsp.org/install.html#hardware

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca