What is "dual-channel DDR"?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 16 17:48:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 12:30:19PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> PAE requires that I/O goes into "bounce buffers" that must be copied
> to/from user process memory.
>
> That's an extra set of memory copies that have a pretty appreciable cost...

Well true, and also true on Xeon EM64T in 64bit mode, but not the case
on AMD64 in 64bit mode, so yeah it does help on the amd systems, just
not on the intel systems.  So I guess it is a matter of the tradeoff
between that and the extra memory used by pointers and the advantages
some programs get from true 64bit arithmetic in the cpu.

Lennart Sorensen