What is "dual-channel DDR"?

Andrew Hammond ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 16 15:42:00 UTC 2005

We run database machines on Celestica A8449 quad optreons w/ 16GB of
memory. If you want to do Opterons with > 4GB, you need a 64bit distro.
SuSE is the best, although debian isn't bad and is constantly improving.

But don't buy the Tyan Tiger K8W. The whole point of Opterons is the IO
interconnects. The K8W has only one (paired) memory bank, and it's hung
off the same processor which has all the other IO too. Terrible design.
Any of the Thunder series are far better, the Thunder K8WE is
particularly nice, although they still haven't really balanced the IO
for integrated components.

Also, the Opterons use single channel DDR memory because they have
superior memory and IO capabilities. There's no need for the hack that
is dual-channel. Instead, each CPU has two dedicated hypertransport
channels for memory.

Finally, I can strongly recommend Alliance Technologies (416-385-3255)
as an integrator / VAR for people interested in running Linux or BSD on
Opteron. We have been very pleased with both the quality of their work
and the excellent service. My only relation to them is as a very happy
customer. They're not the cheapest place to pick up hardware, but they
may be the most cost effective I've ever dealt with.

- --
Andrew Hammond    416-673-4138    ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
CB83 2838 4B67 D40F D086 3568 81FC E7E5 27AF 4A9A

<http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=175>