What is "dual-channel DDR"?

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 16 05:16:32 UTC 2005

On March 16, 2005 01:49 am, William Park wrote:
> What is dual-channel DDR?  Is it also called "DDR2"?
>
> I'm interested in Abit AV8 (AMD64, S939)
>
> <http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=175>
> which takes dual-channel DDR.  But, I don't know what that means.  My
> experience ends with SDRAM and Pentium 3.

I have Dual channel DDR running on one of my motherboards.

What it means is that there are 2 memory controllers on the board, one for
each DDR strip.

Often ( as it is on my main pc )
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta-ILSR&class=mb
you have the option of installing in single or dual channel mode.

I have 2x512 DDR400. If I install both sticks in the purple slots ( see link )
I am running in single channel mode. If I install in the 1st purple slot and
the green slot I am running in dual channel mode.

Now that I am thinking of it, maybe I should benchmark this sometime to see
what the real performance difference is, if any. From what I have seen on the
gamer forum postings, running in single channel often yields better results
for overclocking, but in theory dual channel should be faster overall.

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca