Location of Apache's DocumentRoot

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 15 19:41:50 UTC 2005

Hi

First post to this list. I look forward to coming out to the meetings
and connecting with helpful people :)

I have a long computer background, but Linux is still fairly new to me.
I have some serious web development to do, and I will be using PHP and
MySQL.

I have invested in a Linux box, and installed Mandrake 10.0.

I see quite a learning curve....

Right now, I need to set up the server to look much like a virtual web
host. I can't see any guides/rational for determining where to put the
documentroot directory. It seems to me it should be under /var but I
don't have much confidence that I will make good decisions yet.

Suggestions?

And how do I set the permissions on this directory? I will need to use
ftp to upload the web files.

Thanks in advance for help!

Stephen