Open Source Ingres for Linux

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 12 23:38:18 UTC 2005

Lots of interesting details and points!

I have used and/or supported Ingres installations since 1985, so I might be
a bit biased (aren't we all) on its technical capabilities compared to
others.
As interesting or capable MySQL and Postgres might be they were never
developed to become commercially distributed products, so they were
developed and enhanced in a differenc way that Ingres.

For the technical part the complete doc and data sheets can be found here:
http://opensource.ca.com/projects/ingres/documents

In a nutshell, I guess Ingres is like any other RDBMS and can be used where
a relational data repository is required, on Linux and other platforms.
What makes it unique for Open Source is that it started as a commercial
product.
It can accommodate small footprint systems (a couple of users on a small
Linux box) as well as hundreds on a big-iron UNIX system.

I have supported Ingres database servers running 24x7 with 700 interactive
users. I haven't seen too many Postgres or MySQL installations of that size!

  François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>