Open Source Ingres for Linux

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 12 22:18:11 UTC 2005

>From what I know Stonebreaker was the guy who first put in practice the
theory developed by Codd and others and made it a commercial success.
You can find lots of web sites talking about Stoneberaker and the emergence
of RDBMS, such as:

http://control.cs.berkeley.edu:8000/nasa_e2e/mike.html

Postgres is a spinoff of Ingres and a research project, Ingres was the
commercial version of the same concept. More like an early "open source"
before its time!

Ingres has matured as a commercial enterprise-class software product while
Postgres remained a university project.

If you want the real thing, then go for Ingres!

  François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>