Open Source Ingres for Linux

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 11 02:21:49 UTC 2005

Hi gang,

Some of you may know this already, but if you are looking for an
enterprise-class relational database product (with 30 years of market
presence)
CA has released Ingres to Open Source last year and it is now available to
download for Linux and other platforms
http://opensource.ca.com/projects/ingres/

I got it to run on FC3 and it is awesome, it comes with loads of development
tools and gateways (JDBC included), and the PDF doc is also very
comprehensive (same as the previous commercial releases). It comes as a
bunch of rpm packages and the installation is really simple.
Those looking for something more robust than MySQL or Postgres, look no
further!

Ingres has been my bread and butter for many years until CA bought it in the
early 1990's and the product started losing its popularity and market
presence. Now the Open Source project might open new horizons for a product
that used to be at the leading edge of the RDBMS technology and was
co-created by Mr relational technology himself, Michael Stonebreaker.

(I am not in any way related to CA, I am just passing the info).

  François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>