SAMBA and Nautilus

PW Armstrong pwa.linux-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 10 23:20:27 UTC 2005

Gord - thx for the tips.

I did finally get Nautilus to link to my two other computers. It just
made no sense. I went into RH's network-configuration tool, and there
were all the hosts (well, why not, all this tool does is allow you to
display/change the /etc/hosts file). So I took the ip address of my xp
host, and used a location address of 'smb://ip_address'. Nautlius showed
me all three computers. So I double-clicked on my XP computer, and
Nautlius showed me the Windows shares on this computer, and I can now
'sort of' access all files in these shares.

I say 'sort of' because, if I double-click any of these files to open
them, I get a can't-open-location error 'because application_name can't
access files at "smb" locations'. I checked the permissions, and
everyone has rwx access. However, I can copy these files to my linux pc,
and then work with them. Almost there.

Any idea why I'm getting the can't-open-location error?

Thx very much.

-Peter