disk space weirdness

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 10 22:37:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:47:57 -0800 (PST), J. Qiang Li
<shijialee-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having a weird problem. When i moved one huge file under / parition to /var partition, I saw
> the /var partition usage increased to the expected size and / partition usage still remains the
> same.
> I am pretty sure the file is not in / anymore and yet the usage for / don't change. What is going
> on ?
>
> here is the df output, as u can see / and /var are different partition :

If some program still has the huge file open on /, then it won't
actually have been removed yet (the name is gone, but the inode and
associated disk space will remain in use until all file handles are
closed).  Try the lsof utility to see if this is the case.

--
taa
/*eof*/