env bug ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 9 17:41:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 07:00:25PM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> As others have noticed, env is a cozy way to locate an elusive binary to
> run your script (if debian, sues, red hat etc would stop shifting
> binaries from their default locations then this would hardly be
> necessary).

Well it still wasn't as far as I can tell the intended use of env.

Besides if you don't know where perl is, do this:

#!/bin/sh
exec perl -x
#!perl -W -otherperloptions
print "Hello World!\n";

For things other than perl, well what can you do.  Besides how is
/usr/bin/perl wrong?  I think that is where the Linux FHS says it should
be.

Lennart Sorensen