OT: sharing Rogers

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 8 01:54:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 05:11:55PM -0500, Alex Beamish wrote:
> ps And I'm sure you *can* set up a box to be your firewall router, but
> I knew that if I tried to go that route, my head would explode with
> all of the stuff I'd have to do. That, compared to a $30 cost, made
> buying a cheap router a no-brainer.

Using a cheap Linux box as a router made sense 7 or 8 years ago
- I had a 486 doing that job for many years - but nowadays it
isn't worth the bother.  When the 486 died 3 or 4 years ago, I
had already replaced it with router capability that was embedded
in the ADSL "modem" that I got when I switched from Sympatico
(when they spontaneously started blocking incoming SMTP).