OT: sharing Rogers

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 7 22:11:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:03:59 -0500, Matt Cahill <m-cahill-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Monday, March 7, 2005, 4:58:20 PM, you wrote:
>
> JK> Matt Cahill wrote:
> >>
> >>   Okay, this isn't *totally* off-topic as it partially involves my
> >>   Libranet box...can I assume that there's no way to share a Rogers
> >>   hi-speed connection with another networked desktop without either:
> >>
> >>   a) paying the $9.95 for a separate IP, or
> >>
> >>   b) using one of the two networked computers (the other is a Mac) as
> >>   a NAT gateway?
> >>
> >>   I know the official Rogers policy, but thought I'd ask in case I'm
> >>   in the dark about another solution [not that I'm suggesting or
> >>   implying that I would ever wish to exploit the possibilities of my
> >>   cable feed].
>
> JK> You can use one of those cheap firewall/router boxes.
>
>  James (& Lennart),
>
>    This was my primary thought, but it occurred to me - wouldn't
>    Rogers notice if both computers were on at the same time?  Sorry
>    for my naivety, but I didn't think it was *that* simple (!)  Or are
>    you suggesting that there would need to be some manual settings put
>    on the router before this works?

I don't know about Rogers, but Sympatico appears to be fine -- we have
five or six computers on our network, all going through a wonderful
Netgear firewall/router that cost us about $30 after rebate. Works
like a champ.

I think Rogers is much more concerned about people going over their
60G monthly cap (or whatever it was). If you're doing normal browsing
and E-Mail, I'm sure that they don't care if it's one computer or
several.

Alex

ps And I'm sure you *can* set up a box to be your firewall router, but
I knew that if I tried to go that route, my head would explode with
all of the stuff I'd have to do. That, compared to a $30 cost, made
buying a cheap router a no-brainer.