Installation of Fedora over SuSE

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 7 20:19:43 UTC 2005

On March 7, 2005 13:17, William Park wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:11:13AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > > Slackware doesn't have any dependency problem, because it doesn't do
> > > dependency check at all. :-)  To upgrade, back up modified files (you
> > > do that anyways), wipe clean, do full install, restore backed files.
> >
> > Which always sounds like such a waste of time, when Debian has proven it
> > can be much simpler, when dependencies are done right.  I sure don't
> > have the patience or time to run slackware anymore.  I used to, many
> > many years ago.  Some people still enjoy that way of doing things
> > though, and I used to.  I don't anymore.
>
> Consider this situation.  Package XXX installs /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx script.
> You modified it, so that it calls other scripts that you wrote, like
>     [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-1 ] && . /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-1
>     [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-2 ] && . /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-2
>     [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-3 ] && . /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-3
>
> So, with standard "install+restore" method, you need to backup 4 files
>     /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx	-- original + your editing
>     /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-1	-- your script
>     /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-2	-- your script
>     /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-3	-- your script
> as part of your normal incremental backup.  Then, after install, just
> copy them back.
>
> How will .deb/.rpm handle this situation, when upgrading in "in-place"?

That is handled several ways in Mandrake. To minimize the need for modifying
files related to Apache, for example, there is the webapps.d directory where
you can put your custom Apache related conf files. So, indirection is one
way. The other is similar to what Lennart mentioned with Debian, i.e.,
Mandrake will, depending on your preference, either save the old conf file as
conf_file.rpmold and install the new one or save the new conf file as
conf_file.rpmnew and preserve the old conf file in place.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation