ssmtp configuration question

Allen Taylor agtnews-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 7 19:54:50 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 08:26:51PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   As the owner of a personal domain, I'm supposed to have working abuse
> and postmaster and domain-admin addresses, in addition to my regular
> personal email address.  Plus I have a couple of "throwaway" addresses
> for websites that *INSIST* on email addresses.  My remote ISP allows up
> to 10 separate email addresses at any one time, with separate email
> blocking rules for each one, so receiving those emails is not a problem.
>
>   Properly replying to them is my problem.  All those addresses are
> eventually re-directed to different folders in my waltdnes account on my
> home machine, running Gentoo linux.  It seems that ssmtp blindly sets
> the "From:" and Return-Path to what it finds in /etc/passwd for the user
> currently logged in, regardless of what I type in in mutt.  The only
> override seems to be to "su -" and monkey with the revaliases file each
> time I want to send with a different "From:" address.   Rather kludgey
> to say the least.  Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

Hmm. I'm running mutt/ssmtp for my email with vim as the editor. All I
do is change the email header info in vim and that's the way it goes
out. If I mess it up it goes out messed up.

For example, I had to change the "From: " line from my default return
address to my "news" email address to have this email accepted by the
TLUG mail forwarder.

This is on a Slackware 10.1 system.

Hope this helps show that it can work the way you want it to.

Good Luck,
Allen