Installation of Fedora over SuSE

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 7 18:17:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:11:13AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > Slackware doesn't have any dependency problem, because it doesn't do
> > dependency check at all. :-)  To upgrade, back up modified files (you do
> > that anyways), wipe clean, do full install, restore backed files.
>
> Which always sounds like such a waste of time, when Debian has proven it
> can be much simpler, when dependencies are done right.  I sure don't
> have the patience or time to run slackware anymore.  I used to, many
> many years ago.  Some people still enjoy that way of doing things
> though, and I used to.  I don't anymore.

Consider this situation.  Package XXX installs /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx script.
You modified it, so that it calls other scripts that you wrote, like
    [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-1 ] && . /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-1
    [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-2 ] && . /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-2
    [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-3 ] && . /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-3

So, with standard "install+restore" method, you need to backup 4 files
    /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx	-- original + your editing
    /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-1	-- your script
    /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-2	-- your script
    /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx-3	-- your script
as part of your normal incremental backup.  Then, after install, just
copy them back.

How will .deb/.rpm handle this situation, when upgrading in "in-place"?

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
Slackware Linux -- because it works.