Installation of Fedora over SuSE

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 7 16:09:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 08:35:07AM -0500, Francois Ouellette wrote:
> I will know for sure how it goes later today. Thanks for those who replied.
>
> BTW how do you compare SuSe with Fedora? One reason I am switching is that
> since Novell took over SuSE it has changed the distributions and now there
> is no longer a "free" personal desktop distribution.
>
> Also it seems that there are a few exotic things in the SuSE bash that
> prevents me from installing the OpenSource Ingres r3 database software.
>
> I will see how it goes with Fedora.

Well there is no free redhat anymore, no free suse, and probably no free
other things too.  FC is as far as I understand things, a public
beta/proving ground for RHEL, with some contributions by volunteers and
most of the decisions (if not all) made by redhat since they want stuff
to end up in a state where they can sell another RHEL version.

If you want something that won't ever stop giving you a free version, use
Debian.  They don't have a bottom line to worry about.

Lennart Sorensen