Installation of Fedora over SuSE

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 6 20:39:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 05:57:26PM +0000, Jason Shein wrote:
> On March 6, 2005 05:20 pm, William Park wrote:
> > Slackware doesn't have any dependency problem, because it doesn't do
> > dependency check at all. :-)  To upgrade, back up modified files
> > (you do that anyways), wipe clean, do full install, restore backed
> > files.
>
> Exactly my point. Time not well spent. With Gentoo or Debian you can
> spend your time using your system, not upgrading and reinstalling all
> your custom configurations you spent so much time "getting it just
> right".

Hmm... what I mean by "restore" is, simply,
    cp -a /path/to/backup/* /
where '/path/to/backup' contains root tree with all the files you
modified since you installed Linux, eg.
    /patch/to/backup/etc/fstab
    /patch/to/backup/etc/rc.d/rc.local
    /patch/to/backup/etc/X11/XF86Config

Now, Slackware won't write over existing configuration files, like
    /etc/mail/aliases
because Slackware actually installs '/etc/mail/aliases.new' and checks
for '/etc/mail/aliases' before copying over.  But, this is only for
important system files (or, what Slackware thinks is important).  There
are files not in '/etc' which are equally important.

So, "install + restore" is the bullet-proof way for Slackware.  I would
assume also for other Linux distributions.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
Slackware Linux -- because it works.