ssmtp configuration question

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 6 01:26:51 UTC 2005

  As the owner of a personal domain, I'm supposed to have working abuse
and postmaster and domain-admin addresses, in addition to my regular
personal email address.  Plus I have a couple of "throwaway" addresses
for websites that *INSIST* on email addresses.  My remote ISP allows up
to 10 separate email addresses at any one time, with separate email
blocking rules for each one, so receiving those emails is not a problem.

  Properly replying to them is my problem.  All those addresses are
eventually re-directed to different folders in my waltdnes account on my
home machine, running Gentoo linux.  It seems that ssmtp blindly sets
the "From:" and Return-Path to what it finds in /etc/passwd for the user
currently logged in, regardless of what I type in in mutt.  The only
override seems to be to "su -" and monkey with the revaliases file each
time I want to send with a different "From:" address.   Rather kludgey
to say the least.  Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.