DVD burning

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 4 16:54:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:57:41AM -0500, Martin Duclos wrote:
> Hey! I've been trying to burn DVDs but with little success on fedora core
> 3. I can burn cd fine with the drive but dvd, not a chance. Could anyone
> point me in the right direction? MIssing packages? When I burn I just get
> an unsuccessful error with K3B and Xcdroast.
> Thanks for any pointers!

Do you have dvd+rw-tools (and the included growisofs tool) installed?
That is what is used to write DVDs.  Other options are cdrecord-prodvd
(binary only, not open source), or if your drive is a pioneer A03, you
can use the patched hack of cdrecord often called dvdrecord, but if your
drive is anything but an A03, it usually doesn't work.  growisofs works
great though and is simple to use.

growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R -J -othermkisofsoptions dirname

And to add more files later:

growisofs -M /dev/dvd -R -J -othermkisofsoptions dirwithnewfiles

Just make sure the options match each time.

To burn an iso image to DVD use:

growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=imagename.iso

That's it.  k3b supports it just fine at least in my experience,
although I prefer the command line to k3b.

Remember you generally have to be root for these tools to work properly.
setuid is sometimes enough, but not always so unfortunately burning
discs is something that seems to require root.

Lennart Sorensen