Colocation Experiences

Andrew Hammond ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 2 15:03:26 UTC 2005

Aaron Vegh wrote:
> This is a question I've been pondering myself lately. TCCP would not
> be an option, because in my case it's a commercial venture. I've done
> some looking around, and beyond colocation, I've also been looking at
> managed hosting services.

I believe that nightmare and misery are two adjectives I would apply to
my experiences with managed hosting services. Having more than one
person (or I guess group of people) with root on a box doesn't work.

For straight colo, peer1.net has a pretty good facility at 1 Yonge St.
They offer 1/8th rack cabinets, which, I think, are about 6U. Last I
checked, their rates were reasonable.

For a serious discussion on the subject, you need to say what kind of
hardware you're looking to host, and how much bandwidth you're going to
use. You probably also want to mention what you're looking to achieve by
putting a box in co-lo. You mentioned in other posts

Drew