OT: RAM Not All Seen

John M. Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 1 19:41:30 UTC 2005

I bought a stick of 256MB SDRAM ( gbMicro PC133, 32X8) and my PCs only
recognize 128MB. I have tried 3 different sticks from the same store,
installed each on 3 different PCs, and in all cases only half the ram
was seen by the bios.

A google search found people talking about the problem, but no solutions
found.

Notes:
- MBs: 2 asus p5a (amd k6-2); 1 soyo sy-5ema (amd k6-2) .
- 100MHz bus
- manuals for each MB indicate that a 256MB stick is allowed.
- I have a 256mb pc133 stick on 2 computers.
- tried new ram by itself and also in combination with existing ram
- tried all different dimm slots.
- replaced stick twice - am on my 3rd try.
- the 1st two sticks had 2 long chips on each side, the 3rd stick had 8
chips on one side only but all were labeled the same.

I was going to return the last stick and give it up with that type of
ram, but was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the solution might be.