nVidia vs. ATI

Igor Denisov denisov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 29 20:05:19 UTC 2005

Having just switched to SUSE 9.3 Pro yesterday, I'm happy to say that
my ATi 9200 is back in working order, with 3-D acceleration, etc.

I've benchmarked the performance in Quake 3 under Linux and Win2K and
got about 88 fps in both.

In 9.2 Pro, 3-D was either non-funcioning or ran through the vesa
driver. All my attempts to install both the ATi-supplied driver and
the suse-supplied ATi rpm failed, even though all the requirements
were met. The system either defaulted to vesa or refused to start x
altogether. When I tried swapping for an GeForce MX440, everything
worked perfectly, nvidia's driver was fine, but Q3 performance wasn't
there.

It seems that both ATi and NVidia cards work, but if you're looking
for performance, the best bet would be the latter.

Igor