[solved]: Can't get wine going

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 29 18:45:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 06:43:57AM -0700, Joseph Kubik wrote
> what user are you logged in as?
> what X server are you using?

  mea culpa.  Ignore what I said.  I prefer to run texmode, and some
textmode apps like mc (Midnight Commander) have optional X support.  If
it's compiled in, mc has given me problems when running in real text
mode.  In Gentoo, the USE variable controls *OPTIONAL* dependancy /
support, but not required dependancies. So I turned off *OPTIONAL* X
support building for all apps.

  You'd figure that X would be a required dependancy for wine, well
guess again.  Wine also has a straight console mode, that uses
ttydrv.dll.so, rather than x11drv.dll.so.  So when I said "-X" (i.e. no
*OPTIONAL* X support, wine got built without x11drv.dll.so... oops.

  I went and over-rode the selection for wine only, and it built.  Now
Chessmaster 3000 comes up with the splashscreen and halts there.
Notepad works OK, so wine is functional.  Chessmaster is the problem.

My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca