Need an ISP in TO

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 29 13:21:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:11:35AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> I'm on Rogers.  While they only offer DHCP, the IP address is virtually
> static and the host name is determined by the hardware MAC addresses, so
> it never changes.  This means you can always use DNS, even if the IP
> changes.  The reliability has been excellent and I get 5 Mb down and
> 800K up.  I suspect, no matter who you go with, you'll never find an ISP
> that has "no down time", though some are obviously better than others.
> In the telecom industry, the target is "five nines" or no more than
> about 5 minutes per year of down time.  Achieving that requires a lot of
> redunancy etc.

Just remember with rogers you have a 60GB/month transfer limit, and
don't you dare exceed it (they won't charge you for it, they will just
kick you off the service is what their FAQ says).

And of course they don't want you running servers on it either.

> Incidententally, why do you need a static IP for a firewall?  If you're
> basing rules on IP, rather than port, you're doing it wrong.

Certainly isn't necesary, but does make some things better.

I would be on DSL if I could, but something about DSLAM and line card
slots and full was mentioned when I tried to move my service when I
moved at the end of last year. :(

I used to be with istop.com until I could no longer get DSL.  My parents
are still with them, and most of the time it works great.  I don't think
I have ever seen anywhere near 3Mbit download speed, but for their use
the speed has been plenty.  On the rogers connection I use at home
(given a lack of options) the 5Mbit really delivers 5Mbit a lot of the
time.  A lot better than rogers used to be in that way.

I really have no idea what DSL provider to recomend right now if you
want decent price, ability to run servers, static IP, and reliability.
I know istop certainly handles 3 out of 4 quite well, with the last one
being fine most of the time, and then occationally really awful.

Lennart Sorensen