[OT] Routing?

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 27 15:19:11 UTC 2005

phil wrote:
> I have a DSL connection via IStop.  My wife has a Rogers cable
> connection.  Her e-mail provider is a different ISP altogether.
>
> When she connects her laptop using cable, POP works and SMTP times out,
> both using the same host.  Connecting the same laptop using DSL has both
> services working fine.  If I telnet port 25, it works on DSL and times
> out on cable.  The host name resolves to the same IP address regardless
> of which network connection.
>
> This is a new development, starting over the past few days.

When I first switched to Rogers I wanted to send outgoing mail via my the
SMTP server at my old ISP but found I wasn't able to do that. It was about
8 months ago when I made the switch so I can't remember I got a timeout or
an error message when trying to use my other ISP's SMTP server. I just
remember I wasn't able to get it work. I gave up after some attempts and
just reconfigured to send mail out via the Rogers SMTP server.