Framebuffer versus X Window ?

Maciej Kalkowski d119004-6yHCwO3ZCmddPTjdEzvvQgWuu5Ts7GMO at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 27 08:29:16 UTC 2005

Dnia Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 02:29:40AM -0400, Walter Dnes pisal  ('[TLUG]: Framebuffer versus X Window ?').
:>   I'll admit to knowing virtually nothing about framebuffer, which is
:> why I asking these questions in the first place.
:>
:>   1) Can I run everything in framebuffer mode that I can in X?
do you mean frame buffer driver for X or for console mode only?
if for X, then you can the same things as in X. (maybe except some
tux racers and others that use a lot of opengl)

:>   2) Is it faster/slower?
slower than what?
in X it's gonna be slower than the drivers for graphic card :)
and for console it's gonna be slower than normal console mode.

:>   3) Is a true console textmode still available?
i use frame buffer for console mode only. it's nicer and i have
penguin logo at the boot time. :)

:>   4) Any advantages/disadvantages/gotchas?
it depends where you want to use fb for?

m.