Debian Build

Gregory D Hough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 23 11:21:15 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 09:28:59AM -0400, Gregory D Hough wrote:
>

>>I had a littls fun with the Compaq 5200LTE over the weekend in a temp
>>DMZ. It performs OK considering all the crap on the wire. This was my
>>first peek outside the router in over a year...Yikes!
>>
>>So now I'm getting down to business with the kernel. I grabbed
>>linux-2.6.11.6 and iptables-1.3.1 unpacked them in /usr/src and ran
>>Patch-o-Matic. I enabled a couple features with ./runme extra. I did
>>make for the tables which didn't take too long and then I started make
>>for the kernel which is still working twelve hours later. Make is in
>>net/ipv6 right now and I expect it won't take too much longer.
>>
>>I have not done make install. I'd like to package them as .debs and
>>install but I know little of the Debian packager. Can anyone suggest the
>>correct way to do this?
>>

>After you do make menuconfig (or whatever your choice of config method
>is) you do this:
>
>make-kpkg --append_to_version -MYNAME --revision 1.0 --bzimage kernel-image
>
>Where MYNAME is whatever you want to add to the kernel name to identify
>it.  Debian tends to use -sourceversion-cputype like -2-686 for second
>release of that kernel version compiled for 686 cpu.  You could call it
>whatever you want.
>
>You can make the revision whatever you want to, it identifies the
>version of the compile if you want to be able to tell the difference
>between the config now and the config tomowwor if you go change
>something.
>
>The .deb's should be in the parent dir of the kernel source.
>
>I tend to also add --initrd but I use kernel source with cramfs initrd
>support which is what debian's initrdtools use, while a kernel.org
>source won't support that and hence won't work with the initrdtools on
>debian without some modifications.  If you use kernel.org sources, you
>probably don't use initrd.
>
>Lennart Sorensen
>--

I gave Debian an opportunity to get this right because it was such a
slick/lightening fast installer. I tried the dpkg and deb-src tools
using Debians own source packages and it just plain would not work. The
good news was Debians source for iptables-1.2.11 actually contained the
matching patch-o-matic and true source deep inside a directory called
upstream. The bad news was the included control file was miserably
broken and I gave up.

I'm gonna see what can be done with FreeBSD on this little LTE5200.
Getting FBSD's installer to recognized the isa network card was more of
a challenge than Slack or Deb because the driver is ed, not ne. And
there were no checks or confirmations after setting up the card in
device.hints kernel config. Then the installer forgot all of them hints
post install.

I still haven't made anything useful out of this short of a
sniffer/logger outside the router. I'll bet if I were to adduser test
and leave 22 open some goon could make /sumthin ab-useful of it!

Thanks for all the help,
farmer6re9