apache helping went I don't want it to help

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 23 00:49:36 UTC 2005

On 6/22/05, David Thornton <david-FkEgs2FKm2NvBvnq28/GKQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Yes apache is "running in a mode where it returns the myfile.html
> whenasked for myfile". That is the problem.

OK.

> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html indicates that,
> that is the way apache works.

OK.

> There are no symlinks.

Good. That was a wild guess, but someone has to ask these questions.

> As for "Mapping URLs to Filesystem Locations"
> (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/urlmapping.html).
>
> I'm not using
>
> Alias <mod/mod_alias.html#alias>
> AliasMatch <mod/mod_alias.html#aliasmatch>
> mod_rewrite <mod/mod_rewrite.html>
> or
> mod_speling <mod/mod_speling.html>
>
> and I don't think that this is a mod_userdir issue. <mod/mod_userdir.html>

Well .. I'm running out of clever ideas .. and stupid ones, for that
matter. The only two remaining things i can suggest are to increase
the verbosity of your logs, and to decrease the number of modules that
Apache loads and runs until something drops out.

> You guys are keeping me honest... I'll give you that. I really
> appreciate your willingness to jump in there and get dirty with this one.

It's all good for the karma .. some day you'll help me with an
impossible question and I'll be in your debt.

Let us know how it all works out for you.

Alex

ps Thought of a third avenue .. try setting up the same version of
Apache on another box and see if you can duplicate the same behaviour.
A,lso try it with a newer versino of Apache .. keep trying
combinatinos until something falls out.