USB Port Replicator

B B kioskfan-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 22 18:19:11 UTC 2005

Did you notice this dock comes with a 4MB .exe driver.
Judging by the size of this driver and the fact that
SVGA over USB is a little obscure you are probially
looking at quite an adventure getting this to work
with linux. Did you ask Targus? Is the source code for
the driver sitting on the Targus site somewhere? Even
with the source I doubt it will provide much more than
a road map of what has to be done it get it working in
Linux. You could try wine but don't expect much as I
suspect the driver would be pretty low level.

http://www.targus.com/ca/product_details.asp?sku=ACP50CA

> I contacted Targus, but, unsurprisingly, they claim
> it only supports
> 'Doze.
>
> Taavi, if I'm understanding you correctly, this
> would just act as a USB
> hub?
>
> Vince
>
> On Wed, 2005-22-06 at 13:47 -0400, Taavi Burns
> wrote:
>
> > On 6/22/05, Marcus Brubaker
> <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> these? I'm running Ubuntu
> connect it through a
> I get to work, instead of

> > > The Dell keyboard that I got with my Inspiron
> 8600 has a built in USB
> > > port replicator and I've never had any problems
> with it working on FC3.
> > > Not sure if that was just luck or generally
> expected behaviour.
> >
> > They're generally known as "USB Hubs" and are
> quite standard.  If one
> > didn't work with Linux, it'd have no business
> working with Windows or
> > OSX either.
> >
> > There are two varieties of hub: powered and
> unpowered.  The former has
> > a wall wart, and the latter just sits on the USB
> bus.  Depending on
> > what kinds of devices you intend to plug in, and
> how many USB hubs you
> > intend to use (daisy-chained) this might make a
> difference.  If the
> > only peripherals you use are keyboard, mouse, and
> self-powered printer
> > and scanner, any random USB hub should work just
> fine.  If you have a
> > USB-powered scanner, webcam, and Midiman, you
> might consider getting a
> > powered hub.

--The best way to accelerate Windows is at -9.8 m/s^2