USB Port Replicator

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 22 17:47:01 UTC 2005

On 6/22/05, Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Vince Fry wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have any experience using one of these? I'm running Ubuntu
> >on an Acer Aspire 1362, and would like to just connect it through a
> >replicator so I can just attach one cable when I get to work, instead of
> >video, keyboard, mouse, ethernet, etc.
> >
> >Any help is greatly appreciated!
> >

> The Dell keyboard that I got with my Inspiron 8600 has a built in USB
> port replicator and I've never had any problems with it working on FC3.
> Not sure if that was just luck or generally expected behaviour.

They're generally known as "USB Hubs" and are quite standard.  If one
didn't work with Linux, it'd have no business working with Windows or
OSX either.

There are two varieties of hub: powered and unpowered.  The former has
a wall wart, and the latter just sits on the USB bus.  Depending on
what kinds of devices you intend to plug in, and how many USB hubs you
intend to use (daisy-chained) this might make a difference.  If the
only peripherals you use are keyboard, mouse, and self-powered printer
and scanner, any random USB hub should work just fine.  If you have a
USB-powered scanner, webcam, and Midiman, you might consider getting a
powered hub.

--
taa
/*eof*/