apache helping went I don't want it to help

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 22 17:38:17 UTC 2005

On 6/22/05, David Thornton <david-FkEgs2FKm2NvBvnq28/GKQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Maybe you guys can help me out with a little trouble I'm having.
> I have a client who wants to stop apache from doing something it does by
> default.
>
> If you have a file in htdocs called myfile.html
>
> you can surf to that file like this:
>
> http://www.me.com/myfile.html
>
> but transparently you can also use:
>
> http://www.me.com/myfile
>
> and you get the same file.
>
> My client wants to turn off this "feature" because it is "Ruining the
> web reports".
>
> I've read:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html
>
> and I thought that a -MultiViews in Options would do the trick but it
> didn't.
>
> Any pointers or help would be greatly apprecaited.

David,

A wise man once said, "Use the logs, Luke!"

OK, it was actually a co-worker, and my name's not Luke. Serioiusly,
though, a great deal can be figured out by looking at the log files,
specifically the access_log (or whatever it's called in your system).
Try getting index.html, and then just try getting index.

See what the browser logs for each request. If necessary, crank up the
message level for the web server (don't forget to turn it back down
afterwards). And, of course, you'll have to restart Apache for the
changes to be effective.

Alex